Friday, January 21, 2011

Taqueria Cancun - San Francisco

What the hell? Where are the Austin Taco joint reviews?

Sorry for the lack of Austin reviews. It's just when I go to another city I have this strong desire to test their tacobilities. I was on my way to San Francisco for the Jive conference and figured it was taco time. This time I tested the tacobilities of Taqueria Cancun in San Francisco, California.

Taqueria Cancun
1003 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

Before I headed out to California, I got online and searched for a taco establishment I would like to check out. A few came up but one particularly stood out. Taqueria Cancun. It had good reviews. Food was reasonably priced. The food looked good but those weren't the reason I wanted to check it out. The picture of the bum asleep under the awning it what did it for me. HELL YES, that's where I want to go. And guess what, it wasn't that far from the hotel that I was staying at.

As the night went on at the conference, it was time to eat and my little entourage was getting hungry. Me and my group of Brad, Cora, and Eddie decided to ditch the plan of Taqueria Cancun and eat at the closest Mexican restaurant.

I don't remember the name of the place but as soon as we walked in, we knew we this wasn't a traditional Mexican restaurant. It didn't look like it, the waiters and bus boys spoke English well, they actually SAT us at a table and it didn't have the taqueria smell. As soon as we were sat, I heard in my head this is not the taqueria you are looking for.  We stood up and walked out. I got on my phone and confirmed the location of Taqueria Cancun and on our way we went.

As we approached the entrance of Taqueria Cancun...You could smell it. Oh yes, you could smell it. Tortillas on the comal, meat on the grill, lead based paint for the sea mural painted on the wall and BO from the staff. OH yes, we were here. Another indicator that this was a good place was that it is BYOB.

Items ordered

Burrito Mojado - Lengua - I love it when the lengua is cut up and not shredded. This way you can really see what you are eating. The burrito was good. The rice and beand inside the burrito was good as well but it was just a tad to mojado for me. The sauce worked but it was just a little to much.

Burrito Mojado - Carne Asada - Brad enjoyed his burrito. He had originally order a Burrito Mojado with Pollo but that's not what he got. To me, that was the only hiccup of the visit. He did like what he ended up getting. Preety much the same as my burrito.

Four Super Tacos - Carne Asada - Two with Sour Cream and two without. Can't go wrong with a taco that has huge slices of avocado on top. Eddie describes the taco as delicious and fresh. His meat was tender and well seasoned.  Cora said her taco was fresh as well but the meat was to fatty for her. Even though she enjoyed it, it was not her kind of place and probably wouldn't return. especially since it's in San Francisco.

Tacoism - 4 out of 5


Taqueria Cancun from Nelson Flores on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment